Sunday, June 3, 2007

Living in the present

So this past weekend - scratch that, this past Saturday I spent somewhere around the vicinity of 100 bucks... mostly on booze and a complete lack of foresight, but boy was it a good day. My roomates and I started off the day heading to a wine / food festival over in Manly, which is funny because of how much the city's name parallels my character traits... BUT, moving on, they had these sweet little wine glass holders that you buttoned around the glass and then wore around your neck so you wouldn't have to hold it. Getting that was the highlight of my day. We ran into some friends, grabbed a bottle of wine from the bottle shop and listened to the band that was playing into the cool fall breeze coming off of the Pacific Ocean. The sun went down, the music died down, the temperature cooled, the wine warmed our bellies, and the hot dancing brazilian women made me think, "Wow, I really like hot dancing brazilian women".

The wine we walked around tasting was like $200 a bottle and up. We were tempted to get a box of goon (that's basically Franzia), but decided to remain tactful and drank our $14 bottle of wine wrapped ever so candidly in a brown paper bag. The music was great. We headed down to the city after that and started walking approximately 500 miles to and fro at various clubs, where I began the senseless spending spree on all that is beery in this world. Have I mentioned how much better the beer is here than back home? It is. I hope my old flame Coors Light doesn't get resentful when I return. We ended the night heading to Pancakes 24/7 (a.k.a. Heaven on Earth) where I wisely decided to go wander aimlessly by myself to the bar we passed along the way instead of waiting in line. It was some spanish bar that I clearly didn't belong at for two reasons: One, everyone was salsa dancing. And two, EVERYONE, in the entire bar, was salsa dancing - it was about 3 in the morning by now.

Nothing one more beer can't take care of (if you're a complete fool). On the bright side some Australian girl started *trying* to dance with me as she grabbed my hand spinning herself around. I wasn't sure if it was my mad dancing skills or her general inability to stand up straight that prompted her to order us two Jack and Cokes... on my tab. What the hell is she thinking. I don't drink that shit. I want a beer. Ohhhhh good, the bartender just opened up an 11 dollar bottle of some German crap. So after the Aussie girl was done complaining about me paying $25 instead of the full $30 for the drinks I never wanted in the first place, ON HER BIRTHDAY NONETHELESS, I moseied over to comfortable place on the wall to enjoy my drinks. Bitch bitch bitch... it wasn't her birthday. It was a good time though, took a few mental notes for my next go at salsa dancing (...right...), and then some dude walked by and bumped my drink right as I was having another sip. That damn Jack and Coke chipped my tooth. It was time for me to head home. That German beer was tastey... I think.

Now, the truth of the matter is that I can't afford any evening out on the town like that, for a number of reasons, namely my health. I haven't drank like that in ages, I've really cut back on the amount of drinking I do here, which has been great, but every so often... ah what the hell, right? Found out my parents are actually going to come here, they got their plane tickets that morning and called me on their way out to visit Pat, who apparently is moving to another place, which I wasn't aware of because I haven't heard from anyone in my family in a wee little while, baring that brief conversation with my parents. That vacation will be SWEET. We're going to do the backpacker thing. My mom has even volunteered to give some hostels a try, and Dad, well, that loveable guy is spending money. Haha, all he was saying is, "Your Mom is so excited, and I... I just can't believe we're going." That amuses me. This is quite possibly going to be the coolest vacation with my parents ever, I wish the whole family could come. Hot damn can't wait. I miss Logan. Katie tells me he has learned the word 'no' which, when I think of an afternoon together with him and Sean... well. That could be the funniest experience on the face of the planet. I can't wait to get home and see those guys.

And that brings me to my present point. Some lady gave me the best advice today. Ok not some lady, an old highschool teacher of mine who's a freakin superhero. It's funny. You can hear the same old stuff from so many different people, but then one person just says it in some way that's like... "HEY THAT'S A FRICKEN BRILLIANT IDEA!!" It's nothing new, but it just works. It's like, "What the hell, what has MY problem been?" Cheers to her for that, I wasn't even aware that I needed to hear it, but I did. I've been having a great, wild time here, but these last few weeks I've just been feeling stressed about stupid crap. And I say screw you stress! Live in the present, you can keep an eye on the future, but don't worry so much about the money, classes, friendships, girls, and so on kinda crap. I'm in freakin Australia, and classes are done this week... which means my adventures will begin a new again vewy vewy soon. This class stuff has been gettin to me. Time to crank out some papers. Live in the present. Rock a doodle doo.

Radical.

3 comments:

Patrick Bannan said...

Wait wait wait. What was the advice? And did you, or did you not get attacked by a panther?

MLounds said...

Okay, I agree with Pat (hi Patrick)... What did your freakin' brilliant superhero highschool teacher write that was so wonderful? Oh, and what was the sobriquet, nickname, pet name or whatever it is that I am supposed to call Eric in class?

MLounds said...

Oh, it must be to live in the present... I see the blog title now. Duh.... I'ma english teacer!