Thursday, March 1, 2007

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

Whew, I'm in Australia. I've been here for 9 days now I think? I'm done with classes for the week. I've got them Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and they're all seeming to be pretty cool. Life has never been better. I've just set some new FANTASTIC goals for myself, and I'm staying open to the world and developing a better picture to the career path I want to take - and I've only been gone for two weeks!

New Zealand absolutely blew me away. I'm going back, no doubt about it - 8 days wasn't nearly enough time to spend there, but I"m so grateful I had that time. I could have done all the same stuff just traveling by myself and saved some money, but hoping on the Stray bus tour made it SO easy to meet people. I've had so many insightful fascinating conversations so far. When we were traveling at one point, my buddy Sam made the comment that he didn't realize places like this existed. Mountains soaring right out of lakes like sheets of glass, rolling green hills, wildlife, and adventure all around. The scale and grandness of the places we visited was beyond words, just God - like. I love the sublime.

One of the funnest times I had during that trip was when our tire blew out in the middle of no where. It was after we went to visit a sheep farm, which I find incredibly amusing to be a tourist attraction, where we got to shear some sheep and check out the sheep dogs doing their thing. THOSE GUYS ARE AMAZING... stark contrast to my dog Duffy who wouldn't even put up Pheasant for my dad. It'd be entertaining to work there for a few days, but I'd probably only go back there to get that darn gigabyte memory card full of pictures that's likely laying in some sheep turds. ANYWAYS. We were stranded on the road and our driver had no idea how to change the tire. Some of the passengers took the lead and spent a solid half hour trying to turn the nuts in the wrong direction, which was a funny realization to have, and then we spent a good deal of time more with three grown men jumping on the wrench because the nuts were frozen. Rather amusing.

I could write a novel of all the things I've experienced and perspectives I've been exposed to. All in all, my time in New Zealand was wonderful.

I have 3 other roomates in Australia. The one I'm rooming with is from Brazil and the other two are Americans. Three of us hang out all the time, but the fourth guy is always doing his own thing. Fine by me, I just hope he feels comfy in his own house. I didn't really feel like I was in Australia for awhile there, more like America, especially because there are SO many Americans around where I live. But we finally got downtown and saw the bridge and the Opera House. We were just wandering the streets exploring and they kind of exploded out at us from around a bend. It took a bit to sink in, I was like "Oh golly gee, that's a big bridge, and shucks that's a cool design for the Opera house..." and then I wondered how many times I had seen those images in a picture, or painting, or film.

"HOLY CRAP I'M IN AUSTRALIA!" Was the general response I had. So many little things I could write about. But I'll just leave with this little story, and a declaration of my next trip: I'm heading to Manchu Picchu (I think that's how you spell it) for two weeks at some point next year, with my central intention to get a guide to hike through the forest to the ruins. I'm making plans for it as we speak, just trying to stay open to what the universe has in store for me. I decided to do this because of a couple I met.

For those who don't know me well, I'm addicted to anything involving leadership and personal growth, most notably the concept involving the Law of Attraction. So before my trip I devoted (and continue to do so) a lot of time towards creating and attracting to my life the sort of experience I wanted to have while abroad; I'm very much in the learning stages with these ideas though, so I more or less just started toying with it to see what would happen. One of those, "What if it really would work?" sort of things. One little 'experiment' I did was to see if I could attract a seatmate that would in some way change my life, or become a mentor, or just impact me in a really unique way. Well it happened.

I met some pleasant people on my way out, good conversations, but more just exchanging pleasantries. From LA to New Zealand I don't think I even said one word to anyone except when I had to take a piss. But when I was leaving AH CRAP I JUST REALIZED WHAT HAPPENED. Sorry. When I was heading to Australia, leaving New Zealand, I was running late for my plane, I was like the last one on, and some lady was in my seat thinking she was in row 13 instead of 14. I just traded her seats instead of making her get up. I'd have rather sat by the pleasant young couple I was assigned to sit by instead of the OLD people I ended up sitting by.

You see, I was weary from my last flight arriving to Queenstown, that since they were OLD they would try giving me a bunch of pointless insight on how they wish an entire friggen airport would move one entire friggen mountain valley over so that they wouldn't have to drive their car so far or some other amazingly enlightening conversation similar to that... and I was just getting to the adventure capital of the world. WHOOO WEEE. (That reminds me of some eastern saying... wu wei (woo way) I believe it is. Can't remember what it means, go with the flow, or like water, or... geeze that's gonna bother me) Anyways, I'm glad I'm never getting OLD.

Ok I wasn't really that cynical or worried, you don't have time to feel that way when you're on 'cloud nine billion', I asked where they were from when I realized they were Americans and time just 'flew' by from there. They were retired and spent about 6 months out of the year traveling. Hearing their stories got me so inspired to do more, and grateful to be in that seat.

Let me be clear: I don't believe in coincidences, nothing 'just happens' and the more I open myself up to it, the more I've experienced synchronicities like this in my life. I had litterally decided and commited to myself that I would continue traveling for two weeks straight every single year of my life RIGHT before I hopped on that plane, I had already experienced such an amazing new side of life I couldn't bear to imagine not doing more. They implored me to go to Manchu Picchu as soon as I commented about my recent decision.

They left me with a passion. They left me with great advice. And of course, I got their email. What I was looking for though mostly, was the direction they left me with. Another aspiration. Another dream and goal. A vision for future possibilities, and a revived awareness that at any point in time you can meet someone who will become a friend for life, or change the path you walk in a huge, grand way. I don' t think I'm relating very hell how impactful that experience was for me, but that's ok for now, there's more juicy details I can include at some other point.

I freaked out earlier that I didn't meet any hugely inspirational person on any of my previous flights because all of the affirmations I wrote down, and visualizing I did, involved me going to AUSTRALIA, not New Zealand. I forgot, somehow or another, that the Law of Attraction is always giving you exactly what you're asking for, to the 'T' good or bad. These things, of creating and attracting the things present in your life might sound weird or pretty 'new agey' to alot of people, but they're powerful. The more I learn the better I feel, and more exciting my life becomes.

Enough writing for me, cheers to you.

No comments: