Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I went camping over the weekend...

I finally got out of Sydney this past weekend. I met some friends, a bunch of French people (some French some French Canadians) about a week ago, and they invited me along to go camping with them. I was so delighted to go, and so happy to meet this group of people because I just don't think I would have stayed sane if all I did in my free time was go to clubs or pubs and all of that other wild and crazy party stuff. Long story short, I was looking for some people like this.

I started my day off early and packed WAY too much stuff in my backpack. I have no idea how it got to be so heavy, but I knew very well I was only staying for one night. I walked around town, in and out of shops and malls, along city streets, winding among mobs of people in the middle of the wonderfully steamy day - drenched in sweat (sexy) lugging a 40 - 500 pound pack around - looking for a tent for the first two hours of the day before I met up with the four others. I never found a tent that was within my current financial means, but I did find a $15 tarp at zero hour, right before I left the grocery store on our way to the train. SCORE! Now I had the option of sleeping in a tent or under a tarp.

Train ride was great, got to see some of the country side, had a good talk with George from the Czech Republic. He had decided to stop drinking for awhile because he wanted to get refocused with his life, said he does that from time to time. I admire that; when anyone has the wits about them to take a step back to look at any sort of the 'big picture' in their lives is a very purposeful thing.

So amazing. How perspectives can differ... for instance how we often wish some things in life were cheaper, or free, or to have more money naively thinking we would be better off if such were the case. The truth of the matter is that it's good to have to work hard for things, because that investment becomes so much more valuable when we consider quitting.

George commented that he wished his schooling wasn't as cheap as it was (practically free) because otherwise he would have a degree right now. He wouldn't have started and quit his studies on three seperate occasions. He would have a little more direction because his investment would have implored him to continue with the courses he decided to take. In an ideal world the most imporant investment we would respond to would simply be our time and for the sake of life, but in reality that's seldom a tremendous motivator when compared to something like money.

Camping was absolute heaven. Met some Aussies at the train station who took us aboout 20 minutes out of Woy Woy (the town's name) to our semi - destination. We had to get out of this gigantic truck and walk for a bit (ok it was a station wagon, but quite the off - roader) so that we could get past some boulders, rocks, and ruts on our way there. 5 minutes in the sun and we were already wiped out. I loved it. Then we had to hike for 15 minutes down another rocky, winding, slope to our actual campsite. Sandals weren't a smart choice that day... nor the 500 pound 'day pack'... nor the thirty bomb of Tooheys with pack of quickly melting ice in my arms. But I got a great work out. And that ocean was sooo refreshing once I hoped in.

We had a little beach party that night. Some Aussies we met, along with another group of people from the UK, came down to join our group after awhile. They were all dancing around the fire as George switched between singing while playing the guitar (he had a funny song that was amazingly catchy and humorous, hopefully I can get one of the videos up here to share) to blasting out some SUPER sweet beats on his wicked awesome PORTABLE DRUM SET. I want one. It's a friggen box and it totally rocked my world.

I ended the night with a hug smile on my face, my hair embedded in the sand, eyes locked on the stars, fire smoldering, just chatting away with one of my new friends. I decided to sleep on the beach rolled up in my tarp. I had my bed sheet from home and snuggled up in my tarp tube. It amused me. Despite having grown up on Lake huron, I believe that's the first time I've ever actually SLEPT on a beach. All in all, glorious weekend.

I really want to work out some way to keep these posts shorter, but I also have soooo much to share... Oh the tortures that Australia has presented me. Hardy har har.

No comments: